Monday, April 5, 2010

TFM Chap. 3- Rise of the Blood Moon

Drake took his backpack upstairs as Josephine led the way. Mikera and Samantha went upstairs with him. “So your backpack is all you have?”

“Oui. I wasn’t expecting to have a roof over my head so soon and I wanted to pack light. It is nice, and I am grateful to all of you. Merci beaucoup for helping me.”

Josephine smiled. “Ye are welcome. We should be thankin‘ ye. But it looks like Samantha willnae be the only one clothes shoppin’. Ye’ll need to as well. Mebbe we’ll make it a group thing. Ye know the area.”

“I don‘t, really. I only lived here a couple of years and visited from time to time. I could show you around what I do know. There is someplace I need to visit first thing tomorrow. But in the meantime, I believe you wanted to brief me on this ‘Blood Moon?’”

Josephine nodded. “Once ye get yer things set up, head downstairs. We’ll brief ye.”

As the girls left, Drake looked around his room. It wasn’t much, but given that space in France was at a premium, it would be sufficient. A folding futon would be his bed, and a small dresser with a mirror would help store his clothes. The room had been used for storage, but the girls helped him turn it into a small bedroom. Based on what they said about themselves, they likely travel a lot. It only makes sense to keep things small. Easier to pack up and leave if need be.

All three were in the living room, with Mikera setting up a DVD player. “Drake, have a seat. ‘That woman’ entrusted the info to Samantha before she got here via blind drop. It is why we had to wait on Sam. Didn’t count on the Bloodies coming after her in Nice. Samantha, you ready?”

“Yeah. Drake, the Blood Moon began about 14 years ago, founded by an unknown crime lord from France. That is why we are here. Supposedly, he was from Saint-Jouin-Burneval, and we’re hoping we can unmask his identity here. The Blood Moon uses a cell system for its members, many of whom feel anger towards their society for having been wronged in some way. They twist this hatred , and the innocent suffer because of it.”

“How do they work? And why have so few heard of them?”

“This will answer the question. ‘That woman’ has been busy trying to gather all she could on them.” With that she turned on the DVD and sat with the others to watch it. The voice, then began to brief them.

“Here is what we know. They use fear mongering and moral panic, supposedly, in an attempt to bring about peace. For this, they use groups like neighborhood watches, militia groups, churches…you name a public watchdog, they manipulate it as a weapon. They do their work behind the scenes, where they aren‘t so readily visible. The poor and the desperate are their favorite recruits, however. Because they are the ones who are not only the easiest to recruit, but also the ones who are impossible to trace back to the group itself.”

“The group itself uses a cell system, often with anywhere from 3-10 members depending on the size of the operation and how deep the infiltration is. But we don’t know how they choose their members or how they allocate resources. Efforts to trace their accounts lead us back to some dummy accounts in Switzerland, but most of the finances were already removed, no doubt transferred elsewhere. We only know the nationality of the leader of the Blood Moon by intercepted communications that indicated he was from France. We know nothing of his appearance, not even his species.”

The voice then made one addendum as a map flashed on the screen. “The primary pattern is that they have a preference for major cities, where many of those they seek to recruit reside. They may use those as launching points. Their leader has a special animosity towards religion. I am not sure if something happened involving his faith, or if some church betrayed him, but he has left a lot of bodies in his wake.”

The voice then added, “As to why they are so unheard of, it is because they work behind the scenes. When they need someone to take the fall, it is often those they deceived who do so. Only recently have the authorities even ACKNOWLEDGED the existence of the Bloodies. And that is why you are all here. Mikera, Samantha, Josephine, the three of you have exceptional abilities that will be necessary in the coming battles.”

“Mikera, I have watched you as your computer skills have increased, and with that, your skills in inventions and devices. I will be counting on you to outfit this team with whatever your imagination brings.”

“Samantha, your skill in firearms is second to none. To you, any firearm you carry is an extension of your body. You are very much the offensive arm of this group.”

“Josephine, your role will be as field leader of this group. Your talents as a coordinator and your skill as a fighter will help the entire team. I am giving you full authority to recruit as the need arises. And to any new members who may see this, when they ask you to train hard, do so. Your life will depend on it.”

“This is ‘that woman,’ signing off…”

Drake nodded in understanding. “I should probably retire early tonight, mademoiselles. It is going to be a big day tomorrow.” Josephine laughed a little bit. “Drake, no need to be so formal. Use our first names. I prefer Josephine, but Jo is fine too. Mikera and Sam prefer it too.”

Samantha chimed in. “We’re a pretty informal bunch, Drake. No need to be so rigid around us. Still, you are right. It will be a big day tomorrow. We start your training then.”

(At an warehouse near the Rhine River, bordering France and Germany)

The blue fox smiled as he took the small pontoon he was on across the water. His blue hair, peppered only slightly with gray hair, blew in the breeze. “Ma belle France, I have missed you. This war I have been waging has taken me away from you all too long.”

"Your beloved will be eager to see you again, monsieur. They have been busy in your absence. How was your trip to Japan?”

The blue fox glared at his navigator. “It is not something to concern yourself over, Gerard. I only wish to walk on my home soil, and to enjoy the company of those I love once more. My business in Japan is concluded. I won’t be going back there again. I brought gifts for all three of them.”

“I think that is them on the shore line, sir.”

The blue fox nodded, as he saw the three: a minx, a bat, and a flying squirrel femme, all of whom were smiling, and wearing two-piece swimsuits.

The bat was the first one to yell. “JEAN!! OVER HERE!”

“WELCOME HOME, JEAN!”

The Minx yelled, hers being the most enthusiastic. “Welcome back to France, M’lord.”

“Ahhh, mes cheries…it has been too long. I trust that none of you have been bored in my absence?”

“No, sir. It is not time for the razor for any of us. Although…” The bat femme grinned as she fingered the buttons on his shirt. “We have missed you in more ways than one.”

Jean smiled mischievously at that remark “Ahhh, mais oui, mes cheries. Perhaps after you brief me on the situation at hand first, and tout suite?”

“We are having problems. Interpol has a new group after us, and we have no idea where they are based at.”

“I see. Well, let us not worry about that tonight. Instead, let us celebrate my return to my homeland.”

“By your will, Monsieur LaGuerre…”

He turned to the flying squirrel femme, the newest of the three. “S’il-vous-plait, Esmerelda, call me Jean-Michael. It has been years since someone referred to me by my last name. I have left that part of me a long time ago.”

Esmerelda smiled, replying in a Russian accent. “My apologies, Jean-Michael.” The bat femme then chimed in, “Our room awaits you, as do we, Jean. Shall we?”

“Gladly.”

(Back at Saint-Jouin-Burneval)

Drake had noticed that it was getting late, as did Josephine. “Drake, why nae get some rest? Ye’ll need it.” Drake nodded, feeling himself starting to nod off. “I think I shall, mademoiselles. I bid you good night. Where is the shower?”

“Right next to your room, Drake. We put you there to make it easy to find.”

“Ah, merci beaucoup.”

As soon as Drake had gotten in the shower, each of the girls went downstairs. Samantha smiled as she asked, “So, what is the verdict? I think he is fun. He is brave, a little cocky, but willing to learn.”

“He is sweet. Very kind, and a good listener,” Mikera added. Josephine then chimed in. “Sam, ye were the one who wrapped ‘er arms around him on that motorbike. What’s ‘e got under that shirt?”

Samantha fanned herself and blushed as she replied. “You saw for yourselves in the car, but I felt his abs. His abs are as rock-solid as they look.” She then stretched out a bit. “Even if the ride on his bike made me a little sore, I'd ride with him again," she said sheepishly. "With his physique, I believe he worked those fields.” Mikera then added, “You know the best part? He kept looking into our eyes when he spoke. Not at our breasts.”

The other two laughed softly when Mikera said that. “That is a very good point. However…” Josephine looked pensive. “I am worried his sister may be looking for ‘im. She sounds like a drunkard, so Mikera, keep the scanner on to observe for any drunken incidents involving someone who resembles a blue fox. Drake is one of us now, as far as I am concerned. Which means the bitch doesn‘t go near ‘im. I am not forgivin‘ ‘er for it. No one should have to endure that.”

Mikera then chimed in. “I am going to start making some inventions for him. I believe he will be needing some of my devices?”

“That would be good. He needs every bit of help we can offer. First thing, give him a pair of those special sunglasses ‘that woman‘ made for us. Then make sure he is properly outfitted. We start training him early tomorrow. Keep your ears open for any activity from the Bloodies.”

“On it.” Josephine noticed that Samantha was looking out the window. “Hey Sam?”

“Yes?!” Samantha jumped when she heard Josephine’s voice. “Oh, Jo, you caught me in the middle of some thinking. Did I do the right thing? Getting Drake involved?”

“If you hadn’t, Drake would be dead. You did the right thing, Sam.”

“Even so, it was only pure LUCK that I even met him!”

“Sam, look at me.” Samantha turned around to look at Josephine. “Maybe it was by blind accident, but he is with us now. Don’t worry about what MIGHT have happened. Worry about what already has. Drake needs all of us now, and you know what? Maybe you need to talk with him too. Before training starts, go talk to ‘im. Let ‘im know about your worries. Ye donnae wanna be buryin’ that.”

Samantha sighed. “Okay…I will talk to him about it.”

“Now get some rest. Tis a big day tomorrow.”
~~~~~
(In Nice, France, near midnight)

“So you haven’t seen him either?” Evangeline LaGuerre looked upset. No one so far had seen him. She had noticed the time, and how late it was. As she walked down the street, she saw a bar close by.

Still can’t find Drake, and that scares me…he will end up just like Jean-Michael, I just know it! I have to stop that, whatever the cost. In the meantime, I need a drink. It is going to be a long day tomorrow, and maybe I will find him then. And I can only hope that I can do so before he becomes like our father.

End part III.

No comments:

Post a Comment